What is Freelancing?
One of the most common questions asked is, ‘what is freelancing?’.
Freelancing means being your own boss, working independently, being self-employed, and selling (hiring out) your expertise and services to others who need work done.
Freelancing has become increasingly popular over the past decade, with many people preferring to work on their own instead of accepting employment at a specific place, due to reasons such as self-employment, tax flexibility, location independence or stimulation.
In this article I explain what freelancing means and what is freelance work and freelance writing.
What Does Freelance Mean?
The word “freelance” can be defined as anyone who sells goods or services to an employer for a fee but is not directly employed by the organisation.
Freelancing means working for yourself on your own terms to achieve the lifestyle, freedom and flexibility that you want and desire.
What Is A Freelancer?
A freelancer can be anyone from a writer of articles, content creator on YouTube or virtual assistant that works for various clients while maintaining an independent status.
Freelancer is a more recent term compared to the terms “employee” and “independent worker”.
Freelancers typically use their own tools to provide a service, for example, IT equipment, software, online subscriptions, other equipment, etc.
Freelancing Means Freedom & Flexibility
Being a freelancer, independent contractor or consultant, subject matter expert, professional talent or specialist gives you freedom!
- Time Freedom: Work when you want to work – day or night and when the time is right for you. Freelance full-time or when you need extra money or additional experience.
- Customer and Project Freedom: You can choose who you wish to work for and the projects you would like to complete.
- Location Freedom: Work wherever you want to work – from your home, at the client’s office or flexible workspace or anywhere in the world.
- Expertise Freedom: Sell any existing skills, knowledge and talents or diversify and acquire new skills.
- Tools and Equipment Freedom: You decide which tools are required to deliver the service. Freelancers use the tools they have the most experience with and love to get the job done.
- Method Freedom: Use your methods and methodologies to complete the work. Clients will have specific requirements regarding what they need but freelancers know how to do the job.
- Price Freedom: Offer your expertise for the price you want to get paid and the price that the market is willing to pay.
- Financial Freedom: Freelancers who have services with high customer demand can earn a considerable income, leading to financial freedom and allowing them to choose how they wish to live.
All of the above examples of freedom are based on my own experience as a freelancer. There are many different types of freelance work you can do. Let’s take a closer look.
What is Freelance Work?
The types and categories of freelance work are endless, and basically, you could be a freelancer for almost any kind of skill, knowledge, or talent.
On our FreelanceAce Talent Marketplace, freelancers can offer their expertise across 12 freelance categories, including:
- Admin and Customer Support
- Business and Legal
- Design and Graphics
- Engineering and Architecture
- Finance and Accounting
- Human Resources and Training
- IT Software Website Mobile Development
- Lifestyle and Home
- Local Jobs
- Music and Audio
- Sales and Marketing
- Writing and Translation
Within the above categories, freelancers can offer their skills within 300 skill sets on our FreelanceAce Talent Marketplace.
Here are some examples of skills across the 12 freelance categories:
- Admin and Customer Support: Amazon Assistance, Customer Service, Excel & Spreadsheets, Transcription
- Business and Legal: Business Analysis, Financial Consulting, Legal Advisors, Project Management
- Design and Graphics: Explainer Video, Logo Design, Print on Demand, Video Editing
- Engineering and Architecture: 3D Design, Architectural Design, Engineering, Machine Learning
- Finance and Accounting: Accountants, Bookkeepers, Financial Analysis, Tax Preparation
- Human Resources and Training: Career Coaching, Executive Coaches, Leadership Development, Training & Education
- Lifestyle and Home: Cooking Lessons, Family & Genealogy, Life Coaching, Tutoring
- IT Software Website Mobile Development: C Programming, eCommerce, Mobile App Development, User Testing
- Local Jobs: Event Services, Health & Beauty, Pets, Shopping
- Music and Audio: Audio Production, DJ Mixing, Online Music Lessons, Singers & Vocalists
- Sales and Marketing: Affiliate Marketing, Content Marketing, Google AdSense, Web Analytics
- Writing and Translation: Academic Specialists, Business Writing, Editing & Proofreading, Website Content
Some freelance work categories are more popular than others.
Popular freelance work
While there are many ways to offer freelancing services, work completed online is one of the most popular types of freelance work.
For example, graphic design, digital marketing, administrative work, programming, bookkeeping and online music lessons, etc. The list is endless.
Any work where you can create and send digital files across the internet is the most popular freelance work. But this is not the only popular type of freelance work.
Make Money Online By Selling Your Knowledge
Have you ever considered monetising your knowledge by teaching others what you know? It’s easier than you think.
There’s been a massive growth and dependence on learning online, teaching online and making money online.
Why not sell your knowledge via online courses and make money in your sleep!
Click here to read about the best online course platforms.
What is Freelance Writing?
Another popular type of work is freelance writing. You may be a better writer than you think and could be offering freelance writing services as a freelance content writer to get paid to write.
So what is freelance writing?
Freelance content writers offer their services to help other writers, freelancers, business owners, companies and academics, etc., to write content (refer to above examples under Writing and Translation) and get paid to write.
Freelance writing examples include:
- Ghostwriters write articles, content and white papers on behalf of owners of blogs and websites.
- Grant writing helps companies to apply for grants and funding applications.
- Job seekers need help to write cover letters, resumes and LinkedIn profiles.
- Many businesses seek help to write reports, technical documents, speeches, scripts and research.
Freelance writing is an excellent full-time freelance job and side hustle to utilise your writing expertise to help other busy professionals to write content.
Also – when your customers like the quality of your work and how you operate, you may become their “go to” to get work done on a consistent basis.
If you want more control over your life, consider freelancing. You will have more freedom with your time, and you can choose who you work with and where you work.
You can utilise any of your skills and use the tools and equipment you love most. You’ll also have the freedom to use your methods, and you can set your price.
Better still, if you’re good at what you do and can attract enough customers, you will be on the right path to financial freedom.
To showcase your expertise or find support to get work done, visit and join our FreelanceAce Talent Marketplace.