Online course platforms and online learning platforms have significantly increased in popularity and capability.
The world has grown a rapid dependence on learning online, teaching online and making money online.
To create, sell, and deliver your own online courses, you need the best online course platform.
Course platforms have various capabilities and choosing the best platform for your needs can be challenging.
Also, to gain new knowledge, you need the best online learning platforms.
In this article, I rank and review:
- the best online course platforms to create, sell and teach online courses; and
- the best online learning platforms to gain new knowledge to future-proof your skills.
What Are The Best Online Course Platforms?
Here are the best online course platforms to use this year:
Best Overall Online Course Platform (Free or from $39 USD/month)
Thinkific enables you to deliver the best online learning experiences for your students, with courses customised to your requirements.
- Easy-to-use functionality including a drag and drop course/website builder
- Design your own courses using professional website templates
- Create flexible content, standalone courses, live lessons, unlimited video and assessments
- Use your domain and integrate with other tools to grow your customer base
- Includes eCommerce, sales tools, and supports small business to enterprise
- Basic (from $39 USD/month):
- Unlimited courses
- Unlimited students
- Live chat support
- Email students
- Drip (scheduled) content, and more
- Pro (from $79 USD/month):
- Includes Basic features
- 2 site admin accounts
- 5 course admins/authors
- Private & hidden courses
- Advanced course and more
- Premier (from $399 USD/month):
- Includes Pro features
- 15 group analysts
- 50 course admins/authors
- Single sign-on
- Onboarding package and more
If you’re wondering which platform is best for selling courses, Thinkific is the best online course platform for course creators seeking to develop, promote and sell highly engaging courses.
Thinkific is used by entrepreneurs, teachers, tutors, universities, coaches, financial analysts, SAAS companies, armed forces, and more.
Test-drive Thinkific today using their free plan.
Best Online Course Platform for Video Creators and Interactive Learning (from $24 USD/month)
LearnWorlds can help you to become a better course seller and instructor. This company is serious about growing big and recently announced $32M in Growth Funding.
Create unlimited courses with LearnWorlds using video and ready-made templates that your students can access from multiple devices 24/7.
LearnWorlds is used by entrepreneurs, schools, teachers, tutors, coaches and more. Enjoy being supported 24/7 and having access to daily webinars delivered by experts.
- Increase interaction with learners and improve learning efficiency
- Make your videos more accessible and easier to use with a hosted solution
- Automatically generate transcripts from your video to enhance audience comprehension
- Drip feed content to learners by scheduling course delivery
- Increase learner retention using multiple types of quizzes and tests
- Includes eCommerce and integration with marketing and affiliate tools
- Starter (from $24 USD/month):
- $5 fee per course sale
- 1 admin
- Custom domain
- Unlimited paid courses
- Site builder
- Popup builder and more
- Pro Trainer (from $79 USD/month):
- Includes Starter features
- No transaction fees
- 5 admins / instructors
- Unlimited courses
- Unlimited landing pages and more
- Learning Center (from $249 USD/month):
- Includes Pro Trainer features
- 20 admins / instructors
- Bulk user actions
- Full white-label options
- Interactive video and more
LearnWorlds is the best online course platform for creating highly interactive courses and for creating videos.
Give LearnWorlds a try on a risk-free plan and save up to 20% on their yearly plans.
Best Online Course Platform for Beginners (Free or from $29 USD/month)
Teachable provides you with a scalable solution to grow your online course business from a team of one to managing a group of authors, contributors, and teachers.
Use Teachable for one-on-one or one-to-many learning and coaching sessions and gather student feedback through third-party surveys.
- Customisable and easy-to-use functionality with access to an extensive range of integrations
- Create multimedia courses and coaching sessions, including videos
- Use a custom domain to link your website and create landing pages that sell
- Comprehensive dashboards to track your sales and learner progress
- Manage a team of authors and contributors to scale your online course
All paid plans include unlimited courses, video bandwidth and students.
- Basic (from $29 USD/month): All base features plus 5% per transaction, instant payouts, members-only community, 2 admin-level users and more
- Pro (from $99 USD/month): Basic features plus no transaction fees, 5 admin-level users, priority product support, graded quizzes, advanced reports and more
- Business (from $249 USD/month): Pro features plus 20 admin-level users, manual student imports, bulk student enrolments, custom user roles and more
Give Teachable a spin using their free plan.
Best All-In-One Course Platform for Professionals (from $119 USD/month)
Kajabi is one of the most popular online course platforms and supports coaching, memberships, podcasts and more.
Kajabi allows you to quickly launch your digital products so that you can quickly monetise your knowledge.
Kajabi is used by actors, entrepreneurs, authors, coaches, experts and more.
- All-in-one solution that allows you to manage and seamlessly connect your course content, marketing, and digital products from the one platform with no plugins or integrations required
- Kajabi’s mobile app provides your learners with full access to your content
- Increase your insights and confidence with data, reports, forecasting, learner progress tracking, customer engagement and more
- Email visual builder and customisable emails to grow your business
- Create fully integrated pages with endless design flexibility
All plans include unlimited landing pages, unlimited marketing emails, Kajabi University, 0% transaction fee, webinars & events, ready to use templates, assessments (quizzes & surveys) and more.
- Basic (from $119 USD/month): 3 products, 3 pipelines, 10000 contacts, 1000 active members, 1 Website, 1 Admin User and more
- Growth (from $159 USD/month): 15 products, 15 pipelines, 25000 contacts, 10000 active members, 1 Website, 10 Admin Users and more
- Pro (from $319 USD/month): 100 products, 100 pipelines, 100000 contacts, 20000 active members, 3 Websites, 25 Admin Users and more
Trial Kajabi for free for 14 days and select an annual plan to save 20%.
What Are Online Course Platforms?
Online course platforms are browser-based learning management systems that allow online learners to access digital lessons which can include recorded videos and also live classes.
These course platforms have various capabilities including all-in-one solutions, webinars, memberships, interactive features, assessments and integration with third-party software.
Online learners expect online courses to be interesting, engaging, easy to navigate and use.
These high expectations from learners make online teachers and online coaches highly dependent on the capabilities of course platforms to achieve the learning experience expected by the learner.
Tools like Thinkific and LearnWorlds enable course creators to deliver professional courses using highly engaging content.
What Are The Best Online Learning Platforms?
To remain competitive and creative in your field or to diversify and future-proof your skills, you’ll need to gain new knowledge.
Read on to learn about the best online learning platforms to either further develop your skills or deliver your courses, including:
Skillshare is one of the best online learning platforms to deepen your skills, explore your creativity or discover new passions in animation, design, illustration, lifestyle, photography, film, business, and writing. You can also become a Teacher on Skillshare.
Learn new skills on Skillshare:
On Skillshare, you can enjoy access to thousands of classes, including workshops and live sessions.
You’ll feel right at home with their freelance and entrepreneurship classes to help boost your knowledge, career and grow your freelance business.
Learn how to build upon your success and gain new knowledge across a broad range of topics, e.g. eCommerce, career guidance, stock market, social media and more.
Whether you are a beginner or an expert, Skillshare caters for a wide range of interests and passions.
Explore business analytics classes in data analysis, spreadsheets, business intelligence and software, including Microsoft Office and more.
Scale your influence and business through Skillshare’s leadership and management classes to enhance your skills in collaboration, communication, productivity, project management, public speaking and more.
Grow your business through marketing classes by learning about branding, business development, content marketing, digital marketing and more.
On Skillshare, you can also learn about fine art, graphic design, illustration, UI/UX design, web development, music, and video.
Become a Teacher on Skillshare:
You should consider becoming a teacher on Skillshare through their membership model and join their top earners who make more than $100,000 per year.
Skillshare shows their teachers how to get started and provide training and resources to develop lessons, class projects and pre-recorded classes that run for about 30-40 minutes.
Teachers are paid through royalties for every minute that your students watch your courses and get $10 for paid Skillshare membership referrals.
Give Skillshare a try by starting a free 7-day trial to access unlimited classes.
Udemy is a large online learning marketplace with over 44M learners and 65K instructors providing development, business, IT, software, and design courses. You can also become an Instructor on Udemy.
Learn new skills on Udemy:
Udemy provides you with a massive opportunity to expand your skillset through their 183K courses covering programming, business, finance, accounting, IT, software, office productivity, design, marketing, and much more.
The vast range of courses available on Udemy enables you to grow your business, expand your career prospects, learn lifestyle skills and improve your academic capabilities.
You’ll have lifetime access to all courses. If you’re seeking a corporate training option, Udemy Business can help to empower and upskill your team.
Instructors on Udemy are fully supported with tools, resources and Udemy’s support team to publish courses and select topics using Udemy’s Marketplace Insights tool.
New and experienced instructors can also get support from Udemy’s instructor community and their comprehensive support centre (for students and instructors).
Instructors are paid through a revenue share model and receive 97% of the revenue for course sales generated from their own promotions and 37% for sales generated not from their own promotions.
Give Udemy a try today with courses starting from under $20.
Coursera has partnered with over 200 universities and companies to offer a wide range of online courses, certificates, and degrees through their professional online course marketplace.
Learn new skills on Coursera:
Join 82M learners on Coursera who are starting or advancing their career and increasing their confidence and competitiveness with new skills and knowledge.
Coursera offers courses in data science, business, computer science, information technology, language learning, health, personal development, physical science and engineering, social sciences, arts and humanities, and math and logic.
The degrees offered are 100% online; professional certificates can take 3-9 months, and there are also 4000 courses you can complete in a day.
Teach Courses Offered via Coursera:
Coursera supports teachers via the Coursera platform with tools and resources to improve how they teach online or through blended learning.
Coursera offers over 8110 courses through their partners and apply a key focus on lifelong learning and transforming the learning experience.
Give Coursera a try and have a look at their extensive range of free courses.
In summary, the best online course platforms include:
- Thinkific – Best Overall Online Course Platform (Free or from $39 USD/month)
- LearnWorlds – Best Online Course Platform for Video Creators and Interactive Learning (from $24 USD/month)
- Teachable – Best Online Course Platform for Beginners (Free or from $29 USD/month)
- Kajabi – Best All-In-One Course Platform for Professionals (from $119 USD/month)
The best online learning platforms include:
- Skillshare – deepen your skills, explore your creativity, discover new passions and/or become a Teacher on Skillshare.
- Udemy – expand your skillset through their 183K courses and/or become an Instructor on Udemy.
- Coursera – advance your knowledge through professional courses, certificates, and degrees and/or teach courses offered by Coursera through their partners.
Also – if you need reliable and affordable web hosting, email hosting or domain names (and more), myself and 2M others use Bluehost. They have an excellent reputation, reasonable pricing plans, great features to support your business, and I love their 24/7 prompt support. I have multiple domain names with Bluehost. Why not check now for a custom domain name for your online business or online course:
Recommended reading for time-saving tools:
Share This Article: